Shortbread cookies use the sweet short crust pastry as a base. After it is just a matter of having a few cookie cutters at home. Children can decorate them with coloured sugar balls, sultanas, nuts or fondant.
- 250 g plain flour
- 125 g softened butter
- 125 g white sugar
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredient together and form a ball. Over a few movements, knead it on the kitchen bench to ensure cohesion (20 seconds max). Rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Dust the kitchen bench with flour to prevent sticking. Place the dough on the kitchen bench. Dust the top similarly. Roll with the rolling-pin to 6 to 8 mm thick. Ensure the bottom is not stuck by lifting the pastry gently. Add more flour underneath of necessary.
- Using cookie cutters make the shapes and transfer them onto a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- If the children want to decorate, use sultanas or pieces of nuts or sugar balls. Smarties work well too.
- Bake 10-15 minutes on 160 degrees Celsius until light blonde. Remove from the oven and slide the base on a cooling rack using the baking paper. Allow to cool.