This pepper apple and strawberry crumble is a twist on the traditional recipe of the crumble. Be ready for a radical change in taste! The recipe is inspired from a bakes apple recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi. The pepper is not at all overpowering, it brings up a different flavour combination.
- 4 apples (3 if quite large) – all apples are good, although the granny smith are likely to be a bit bitter (not my favourite)
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of pink peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Black cracked pepper
- for the crumble: 150 g of flour, 75 g of soft butter, 60 g of caster sugar
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (or water)
- 1 tablespoon of pistachio (shells removed)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Prepare the crumble top: place sugar, flour and sugar in a bowl and rub until the ingredients are combined in a rough sand (or gravel to be more exact!). Cut the pistachios with a large knife and set aside.
- Peel and cut the apples in small pieces. Rinse the strawberries and cut in quarters. Place the fruits in the baking tray with the orange juice. add the cinnamon. Toss.
- Crack the black pepper all over (a bit les than for a steak) and sprinkle the pink peppercorn all around.
- Sprinkle the crumble all over, then the pistachios.
- Bake until golden brown on top.
- Serve on its own or with a creme anglaise.